So I got nominated for one of “these”. Thanks, Kris Gage. No really, thank you, I bloody love talking about myself. I’d call that quirk, but let’s be honest, we all do. So here we go:
- If you’ve read any of my articles, you’ll know I was an addict many years. What you don’t know is that I never used an emoji until I got clean. I suppose it wasn’t very ‘street’ to wink at your dealer. But now I’m addicted to emoji’s, which is not very ‘street’ for a 40-year old man. Maybe it’s an issue, maybe not. The bottom line is, the emoji’s stay :)
- I’m easily distracted… and often make up little jokes to keep myself entertained. But sometimes it gets out of hand, and I end up walking around with a ridiculous grin on my face.
- I used to have these quirky habits, like weird heavy eyeblinks and strange spasmic motions with my mouth. It looked WORSE than you think, believe me. It turns out they only bother me when I start obsessing about them, which is right now because of this damn blog!
- When one of my fingers touch off something, sometimes I have to balance all my other fingers with the same kind of sensation. It can be quite a challenge when Mr. perfectionism kicks in.
- I don’t much care for the words of songs, and just make up my own. It really bugs people, and to make it worse, I’m a terrible singer.
- When I first got out of detox, it was like I was experiencing the world for the first time. The joys of fruit, and particularly strawberries, blew me away. Ignoring the fact that the world knew about such things, I carried around a box of strawberries and offered them to everyone I met. I would literally tell them: “I know you’ve tasted strawberries, but have you ever REALLY tasted them.” Suffice to say, everyone thought I was mad. (This sounds so much worse after writing about it.)
- When I asked my brothers about my quirks, they both instantly responded with: “you annoy us for fun when you're bored.” I genuinely thought it was fun for them too ;)
- Twenty minutes before my dinner is ready, I put 10 ice-cubes in a glass of water. I then proceed to chew the ice piece by piece after eating my dinner, always while watching Friends, Scrubs, or Masterchef. That’s the only TV I EVER watch, which is probably more of a quirk than the ice.
- Once a week, I randomly leave a €2 coin in my local coffee shop for the next person that sits down. I also leave money with the barista every Friday to pay for a stranger's coffee. Is this a quirk? The barista thinks so, but it’s one I want to keep.
- I’m lucky that I don’t take myself too seriously, but sometimes it gets out of hand. I like to play little mind-games with myself when I’m bored. Nothing too strange about that, until this happened. I honestly think gym selfies are pretty shameful, but between reps, it dawned on me that a “where’s Wally” gym selfie might be fun… and then I shared it on Instagram (see below). The worst part is, I plan to make this a regular thing. Hopefully, we can start a trend. Can you find me? I’ll wear a stripey jumper next time.
We’re supposed to nominate people at the end of these posts.